The Rubin Museum of Art is dedicated to developing programs that provide opportunities for meaningful and enriching engagement for diverse audiences. In the spirit of engagement for all, we are seeking a volunteer intern for the Fall 2013 semester to help implement our access and community outreach programs. If you know someone who would be a good candidate and would like to apply, please ask him/her to contact Lyndsey Anderson, Manager of Visitor Experience and Access Programs: firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 620-5000 ext. 336.
Access Programs and Community Outreach Intern
Commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Semester: Fall, Spring, or full academic year
Position Available: 1
Academic Level: Mature undergraduate, recent graduate, or graduate student
Description: Under the guidance of the Manager of Visitor Experience, the Access Programs and Community Outreach Intern will assist with the creation and implementation of museum programs for non-traditional audiences and visitors with disabilities. The intern would research existing programs at other institutions and serve as a liaison, providing outreach to community and cultural centers in New York City.
Duties may include (but are not limited to):
- Research potential partnerships and outreach to local community
- Provide research materials for American Sign Language (ASL) tour guides each month
- Ensure RMA website is current with programs offered
- Update large print labels for each gallery as exhibitions open
- Create audio guide transcripts for each exhibition
- Design a new, large print map for visitor orientation
- Register participants, etc. for Mindful Connections, our program for persons with Alzheimer’s and Dementia
- Create, distribute, and collect surveys for participants in existing programs each month
Qualifications: The ideal intern should have a strong interest in making museums accessible to diverse audiences. The candidate also should have excellent computer, organizational, design, and interpersonal skills, as well as effective reading and writing skills. Must be able to work on a PC with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet search engines. For more information please contact Lyndsey Anderson, Manager of Visitor Experience and Access Programs: email@example.com or (212) 620-5000 ext. 336.
Head of Adult & Academic Programs